Monday, April 30, 2012

Oxford Part 2!

After a nice stroll along Cornmarket street, we decided to head to the famous Christ Church!

For those who don't know, it is one of the largest constituent colleges of the University of Oxford and produced 13 British prime ministers. This is where Lewis Carroll was struck with the inspiration to write 'Alice in the Wonderland' Alice was the dean's daughter. :)



A helpful board that gives an overview of the place. 


It's sooo pretty right!






You can't really see it clearly but the inscriptions are pretty interesting. :)

According to the tour guide in a tour group which I sneakily joined for 10 minutes HAHA.







Look at the queue! Mind you, it was a weekday afternoon.



It's my dream to have an English cottage with vines growing on the walls like this.





Lining up to get in! The price for students is about 5.50 pounds. :)


Lining up to get in! 

 Nina: Please lah, you know I'm hotter than you.
Lily : .... what?????






Love this hallway and how it oozes rich history. 







Ladies and gentleman, this is THE staircase in the Harry Potter films. The scene where Harry Potter and his friends were greeted by Professor McGonagall during their first year was shot here. 


BEHOLD.

The famous dining area where the students of Hogwarts dined and where they receive their parcels and letters from their faithful owls. 






We were all SO excited to finally be there! I was giddy with excitement as I can't believe I had this amazing opportunity to be in this legendary dining hall.

 Portraits of famous men adorned the walls.

The students still dine here, hence the plates. I bet they feel indifferent about this hall but if it's me, I'll be so honored to have my meal here I'll probably choke to death on a piece of chicken due to extreme excitement. LOL.


OMG. THE very dining table where Dumbledore and the rest of the professors dine. And where they conduct the assortment of houses. 




HAPPY!!


I have a new found love for stain glasses. They are unbelievably so beautiful. I wonder if it's difficult to construct.


We were all crammed in a tiny elevator. LOL. Don't let our faces fool you, we were pretty terrified and shouted all the way. Although it's only one floor down LOL.

Seriously, it's like the most unique elevator ever! We had to read the instruction 3 times and fiddled with the buttons for 5 minutes until we got the lift working.


This door can be the movie poster for a horror movie about being trapped in the elevators. I bet it would spook a claustrophobic the most LOL

:D

The garden is so pretty omg, feel like camping out here with a tent and roast marshamallows. LOL, I just ruined the whole sentiment of this place. hahaha



My heart will go on. LOL





Hahaha, look at that cute guard.


After taking loads of pictures, we made our way to the Christ Church Cathedral!


This window is of great interest because only the figure of Jonah is made of stained glass. the rest of the window consists of small panels of painted glass, showing the city of Nineveh in minute detail.


I really do miss playing my piano :(


So beautiful!  Love how the colour shone when the stream of sunlight beamed through the window.





The shrine is built in 1289, destroyed in 1538 and rebuilt in 1889 and 2002.

The oldest monument in this cathedral, this shrine is covered in fine carvings of plants and faces. It once held the relics of St.Frideswide, the patron saint of Oxford, but was destroyed at the reformation. Frideswide was then buried beneath a nearby gravestone.


Mummy?

A mother staring lovingly at her baby in a nest.
I'm sorry, I just find this a little freaky. LOL






The Bell Altar by Jim Partridge 2000.

This altar was made to mark the millennium and is dedicated in memory of Bishop George Bell, who courageously opposed the bombing of the German cities in WW2. 



The cross was cut from the underside of the altar.

The Chancel Vault. WIlliam Orchard c.1500

This remarkable stone vault is made up of intricate star-shaped patterns to create an image of heaven. 12 beautiful pendants hang gracefully from it.




St. Catherine's window
Edward Burne-Jones 1878

The face of the central figure St. Catherine of Alexandria is a picture of Edith Liddell. Her sister Alice was the inspiration for the book 'Alice in the Wonderland' and a portrait of Alice may be seen in a window in the Great Hall at the Christ Church.


Did you see the second panel on the 4th row,  second from the left?

This panel showed the martyrdom of Archbishop Thomas Becket who died at thee Canterbury Cathedral in 1170. Becket is seen kneeling between a mnk and the four knights who murdered him. The panel was defaced in the sixteenth century and the original face of Becket is now missing.


Compass! I think.


Sigh, wish I had studied harder in A levels so I could have applied to this awesome university hahaha. then no need to pay 5.50 pounds *stingy


 I miss cross stitching. Which is a bit annoying because I know that once I start, I'll never finish it, just like my previous 3 discarded ones. LOL.




Bubbly Min! :)





George and Davis Ice Cream. An ice cream cafe that is powered by a student of the University of Oxford, George Stroup.

SINFULLY GOOD.


There were quite a long queue in the cafe but thankfully we managed to secure seats downstairs.


Gosh, I forgot the flavour. :(

It has vanilla with a hint of caramel and chunks of chocolate chips. It was definitely one of the nicest ice cream I ever tasted. Shoot, craving for a cone now. Sadly, there aren't any branches in Bristol, which is good in a way that I won't be diabetic. LOL 



OMGGG. Don't this look absolutely mouth watering?




Radcliff Camera. 

It was built in 1737–1749 to house the Radcliff Science Library.


Next destination  : Boddleian Library!

I heard some of the books are so old till a librarian had to help you to flick the pages in order to prevent any damages.

My faculty yo!


Haha, I randomy asked a local to snap this picture for us. I think to locals, all Asians look the same. After snapping the picture, he returned my camera to Min and stared at her in bewilderment when she shook her head and said it's not hers. hahaha


I love this picture! :D



Wahahaha, apart from the bottle, I think I made a pretty good impression! :P




The Bridge of  Sighs. It joins the two buildings of Hertford's College.

There's a funny story behind this. According to a health survey done on students, the students of this college were the heaviest. Hence, they closed this bridge to force them to take the stairs and allow them to exercise. hahaha!





Ok, looks like there is gonna be a part 3. lazy already lol

till then
pikee

No comments: